Friday, March 9, 2012

If I Ran the Circus...

Well, I sort of do five days a week! Last week was Read Across America week. We also celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday with lots of fun dress up days. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to document the fabulous things that were worn except for the small bit of my Wacky Wednesday outfit that is seen in Snowflake's cake picture.

Anyways, the point of this post is show our door decoration. I think it turned out great, especially since my lovely kindergarten assistant put it up and I didn't have to touch it. :)

We read 'If I Ran the Circus' by Dr. Seuss. Wikipedia's overview of the story is:

Behind Mr. Sneelock's ramshackle store, there's an empty lot. Little Morris McGurk is convinced that if he could just clear out the rusty cans, the dead tree, and the old cars, nothing would prevent him from using the lot for the amazing, world-beating, Circus McGurkus. The more elaborate Morris' dreams about the circus become, the more they depend on the sleepy-looking and innocent Sneelock, who stands outside his ramshackle store sucking on a pipe, oblivious to the fate that awaits him in the depths of Morris's imagination. He doesn't yet know that he'll have to dispense 500 gallons of lemonade, be lassoed by a Wily Walloo, wrestle a Grizzly-Ghastly, and ski down a slope dotted with giant cacti. But if his performance is up to McGurkian expectations, then "Why, ladies and gentlemen, youngsters and oldsters, your heads will quite likely spin right off your shouldsters!"

After reading, they were to draw what they would have in their own circus.


"My unicorn is roller skating on the ice cube."

"My dragon is breathing fire and juggling balls."

"The dog is jumping through the spotted hoop."

"A butterfly juggling 17 balls."

"The cat had a new fashion do."

"A cat is juggling 25 balls."

No comments:

Post a Comment